Battle of the Points
Saturday, July 27 - Monday, October 28
We host a lot of events here at Tūroa, from Grommet Rail Jams to Boarder X competitions. With so many events, we wanted a way to celebrate our most loyal competitors, with the Battle of the Points designed to crown Tūroa's true champion!
With each event you enter, points are added towards your overall total, putting you in the running to be crowned Champion of Tūroa!
Keep an eye out here on the events page and our social media to not miss a chance to accumulate more points!
40 years of Tūroa
Wednesday, October 23 - Saturday, October 26
Tūroa is turning 40! Starting operations in 1979, Tūroa has a lot of history to celebrate. We'll be keeping things festive with BBQ's, music, discounts and more!
Over the 4 celebrational days Wednesday 23rd - Saturday 26 October, we'll have some special offers only at Tūroa!
- 40% off selected items at Tūroa Vertical and Snow Depot Ohakune retail stores during celebrations.
- Dress up all week long celebrating fashions and the decades. Spot Prizes all week for best dressed. Come celebrate with Tūroa!
- Specials at café all week long.
- Tūroa Session Ale brewed for the 40th (now available at the Alpine Bar)
- Free Day pass for those born in the year 1979 (ID required)
- $40.00 day pass on Wednesday 23rd and Saturday 26th only at Tūroa.
WEDNESDAY 23 OCTOBER
- Our Official Day – Afternoon tea in the Alpine bar, display of brochures, scrapbooks, photos, souvenirs, memorabilia from the decades.
- Guests are invited to bring along items and memories to share.
- Don't forget the cake and tea!
- We'll publish a brochure Celebrating 40 Years, full of history and memories.
- $40.00 day pass at Tūroa only.
THURSDAY 24 OCTOBER
- Thursday 24th October – break out the neo-prene bib pants and the groovy sunglasses.
- Wintergarden – Retro ballet/daffies/Classic Competition with Tūroa & Ohakune Celebrities to Judge this park event. All modern tricks will be immediately disqualified. No fancy stuff allowed. Registrations at School & Groups hut and safety waivers to be signed, free-entry, spot Prizes and medals. Bragging Rights. *All subject to weather and park conditions
- Make sure you're sufficiently retro with Mullets, fro’s & shades of hair.
FRIDAY 25 OCTOBER
- Friday 25th October – Twilight skiing on the Movenpick until 6pm, weather permitting.
- Food specials continue at the Alpine!
- One piece Parade in the Plaza. If you can still fit em, locate em, buy em! They are collectables and let's rock it out! Spot Prizes, music and hilarity to fit the occasion.
SATURDAY 26 OCTOBER
- Saturday 26th (Labour Saturday) Twilight skiing on the Movenpick until 6pm, weather permitting.
- $40 day pass at Turoa only.
- We welcome the return of the RETRO POLICE. They are back hitting the slopes with their music, Fashion Fines and Retro Fashions. Vinyl’s spinning on the Alpine Deck, dance competition (moves from the 80’s only). Spots prizes for best moves.
- Fun Old School Slalom at the Wintergarden with handtiming, medals, spot prizes, safety waivers are essential, no charge to enter. Invitation out to those Rangitikei Ski Clubbies celebrating 40 years of Members.
Details are Subject to change keep an eye on our Facebook page for updates.
Pond Skim - Tūroa
Saturday, October 26 - Monday, October 28
The Tūroa Pond Skim is BACK this Labour Weekend. Join us in celebrating spring with a day of fun in the sun. What's it all about you ask? Making it to the other side of the pond by whatever means possible!
We have prizes for the first place getters of each category:
- Best Overall skim (Adult and U18)
- Best Dressed
- Best Crash
- more to be announced...
Proudly Supported by Monster Energy NZ, Smith Optics, Opus Fresh, Atomic and Oyuki!
Will you sink or skim!? You don't know until you try!
You can attempt this as many times as you like, so why not come and give it a go!
Remember to check the weather report at mtruapehu.com from 6:30am for any updates.
Entry fee: $5
Date of event to be confirmed closer to the time.
Protective Equipment – Helmets are MANDATORY! Weather dependant - This event will only run in good conditions!